Port of Miami
Welcome to Miami! Miami Florida is best known for its luxury lifestyle, Latin-infused culture and beautiful beaches. This place definitely hits a sweet spot for me. The hubby and I had some fun times here while waiting to set sail from the Port of Miami. It is an international headquarters for five major cruise lines, which include:
- Oceania Cruises
- Regent Seven Seas Cruises (Oceania Cruises sister company)
- Carnival Cruise Lines
- Norwegian Cruise Line
- Royal Caribbean Cruises
Cruise lines operate year round featuring Caribbean cruises that range from three to 15-days. Some fun and exotic Caribbean destinations offered from Port Miami include: St. Thomas, U.S.V.I., Gustavia, St. Barts, Roseau, Dominica, Turks & Caicos, St. Maarten, Antigua and Curacao, Netherlands Antilles
Parking is available at all cruise port terminals. Overnight parking is $20 per night, and daily parking is $7. There are also two cell phone waiting lots for drivers who are picking up debarking cruise passengers. The lots are located across from Terminal B and Terminal 2.
Airports in the Area
- Miami International Airport (MIA) – is located approximately 9 miles from the Port of Miami. There is a flat fee rate of $24 for taxi cab fare from MIA to Port Miami.
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) – is located approximately 25 miles from the Port of Miami.
Things to Do in Miami with Kids
Miami is offers a host of pre and post-cruise activities for the entire family. Some must-do activities that will create wonderful memories, as well as put you on the coolest mom list.
- Jungle Island, which is a major entertainment attraction located in downtown Miami. Amaze the kiddies while watching special shows, interact with the animals on a safari tour and later relax on Jungle Island’s Private Beach.
- South Beach is a fun way to relax and unwind if you are on a strict budget. Purchase some sand pails, shovels and watch the kids spend countless hours building sand castles.
- Beach Bonanza is another option if South Beach is not your cup of tea. It is noted as one of the nation’s top family beaches. It is located on Crandon Boulevard, and it features two miles of white sand in a tranquil setting. Everything you need is conveniently located on this beach including picnic facilities, an amusement park, as well as life guards. The amusement park features a carousel, tropical rainforest, playground, skating rink and a splash fountain. Please note, while the park is free, you have to pay to park. There is also a toll to get to Key Biscayne.
- Introduce the kids to a little culture. Visit Little Havana and walk the streets of some of Miami’s most historic streets like Calle Ocho. Explore the open window cafes, the meat market, fruit stands and watch the locals hand roll cigars. There are colorful murals and monuments celebrating present and past heroes. The food here is also delicious and cheap.
Family-friendly Hotels in Miami
- Comfort Suites Miami Airport North is a smoke-free hotel located near some of Miami’s popular attractions. This hotel just opened in 2011. Some amenities include free shuttle service to and from MIA, free shuttle to the Port of Miami and a free hot breakfast. It also has an outdoor pool with a sundeck. There is a little convenience store right across the street. While there is a restaurant onsite, nearby restaurants include Subway, McDonald’s, a sports bar and IHOP.
- Embassy Suites Miami – International Airport offers a cruise package that includes shuttle service from MIA and to Port Miami. Wake up to a free hot breakfast everyday, and enjoy a free happy hour each night from 5:30 – 7:30 pm. Every room is a two-room suite. There is also a fitness center, whirlpool and an outdoor pool.
- Best Western on the Bay Inn and Marina offers a cruise package that include free transportation to the Port of Miami. Other amenities include free shuttle service from Miami International Airport, a complimentary hot breakfast, a heated outdoor pool, free wi-fi and a fitness facility.