Port of Baltimore
The Port of Baltimore cruise terminal opened officially in 2006 in South Locust Point offering east-coast cruise enthusiasts a more convenient way to cruise. Located right off of I-95, this 60, 000 square foot terminal offers onsite parking for a daily fee, it is located approximately 10 miles from BWI Airport and 2 1/2 miles from the Inner Harbor. While cruises are offered throughout the year, there are only two cruise lines that set sail from here. These cruise lines include:
- Carnival – the itinerary includes the Bahamas and Eastern Caribbean
- Royal Caribbean – the itinerary includes the Bahamas, Eastern Caribbean, Canada & New England and Bermuda.
Carnival announced it is moving its ship, The Pride, to Tampa, FL due to the new standards set by the EPA on the type of fuel grade ships can use within coastal boundaries. This fuel is more expensive. The last sailing offered by The Pride will be 11/2014.
Airports in the Area
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) – is located approximately 10 miles from the Port of Baltimore.
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) – is located approximately 50 miles from the Port of Baltimore.
- Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) – is located approximately 65 miles from the Port of Baltimore.
Things to Do in Baltimore Maryland with your Family
Baltimore is a great place to visit anytime of the year. Whether you’re in town just for a few hours or a few days before your departure, many activities are available for any budget.
- Visit the National Aquarium
- Catch an Orioles game
- See a Baltimore Ravens game
- Visit Ripley Believe It or Not
- Go on a family adventure cruise with the Urban Pirates
- Visit the Babe Ruth Museum
- Check out the Industry Museum
- Visit Maryland Science Center
- Walk around the Inner Harbor and take in the sights and culture that makes Baltimore special
- Hop on the Charm City Circulatory, a free shuttle service that arrives at designated stops for free every 10 minutes and do some sightseeing with the family to get a glimpse of what Baltimore has to offer.
Family-friendly Hotels in Baltimore Maryland
With so many options available throughout the area, it is important to choose a hotel that is family-friendly, offers shuttle service and parking during your cruise if it’s needed. Many hotels in the area offer cruise packages, which includes the services mentioned and oftentimes free breakfast. Please note, while the Inner Harbor is conveniently located close to the cruise terminal, rooms in this area tend to be a bit more expensive. Consider the outskirts of Baltimore like Glen Burnie, MD, Hunt Valley, MD and Townson, MD which are all within 10 -15 miles from the Port of Baltimore. Included below are a few highly rated hotels from previous Port of Baltimore cruisers:
- Holiday Inn Express at the Stadiums offers a park, sleep and cruise package, which includes free shuttle service, free breakfast and free parking for up to seven days ( there is a $5 a day fee after seven days). It is located within 1 mile of the cruise port terminal and a short 10-minute walk to the Oriole Park at Camden Yards. The Holiday Inn Express at the Stadiums also offer complimentary shuttle service to the Inner Harbor. There is also a dining facility onsite where kids eat free.
- Best Western Plus and Convention Center offers a park, sleep and cruise package, which includes free breakfast, shuttle service and parking. It is located just minutes from downtown Baltimore. The kids will enjoy swimming year round thanks to its indoor heated pool. Free wireless Internet service, sauna room and a 24-hour fitness facility are some of its amenities.
- Hampton Inn in Glen Burnie is located approximately 15 minutes from the Port of Baltimore. Take advantage of Hampton Inn’s cruise package, which includes your hotel stay, breakfast, shuttle service and free parking. The Hampton Inn really takes families traveling with kids into consideration. It offers children video rentals, high chairs and cribs.